Do you know what makes your home exceptional and causes you to feel magical, like in the most beautiful fairy tale? You probably thought of furnishings and design in the first place, didn’t you? Of course, you are absolutely right, but it is the unique and well-chosen lighting that enhances the beauty of every space. Go a step ahead and instead of mundane traditional lamps, choose those that are more creative and less conventional – LED Strips. In this article, you’ll find out what makes them stand out, as well as how you can bend LED strip lights. Get to know the answer and read more!
What are LED strips?
Firstly, let’s start with what LED light strips are. Accordingly, these are flexible circuit boards with surface-mounted LEDs. The thing that gives them their timelessness and uniqueness is that they can be bent and fitted to almost any surface, whether it is wooden, metal, or plastic. Because of their self-adhesive underside, their application is possible even in tight corners.
Properties of LED strip lights
No matter if you are looking for lighting for the kitchen, bedroom, or bathroom – LED strip lights can be assembled anywhere you want. In case you are not sure which option is the most suitable for you, we will try to give you an overview of the main features of LED strips, which will guide you to the right choice and full satisfaction.
- High degree of adaptability – it is their sequential design that allows them to be extremely elastic and adapt to any space. They can be fixed around different objects or split anywhere between LEDs. What’s more, they are superb for highlighting stairs, cupboards, shelves, wardrobes, and the workplace. A further advantage is the illumination of smaller areas, such as the edges of the television or cabinets. With LED lights, you can create the décor you have always dreamed of.
- Wide variety of colours – unsure which colour is most appropriate for your domestic design? If you would like to find something innovative, we have great news for you! In addition to single colours, LED strips also come in colour-changing versions. As you can easily set the intensity of the lighting, they are certainly ideal for use as traditional lighting, as well as innovative DIY.
- Indoor and outdoor installation – it is worth highlighting that apart from being installed indoors, they are commonly used as a main outdoor lighting in such spaces as garden, balcony, or terrace. The only thing that has to be done is specifying the location to make sure that the protection will be appropriate. Just think of relaxing after work in your garden or enjoying an evening gathering with friends. Undoubtedly, these will be unforgettable memories.
Bending of LEDs
Yes, it is possible to bend LED strips on corners. However, you have to take great care, as too much bending can cause breakage or even short circuits. At a single point, LED strips bent up to 90 degrees. In case you need sharper turns or bends, you have to be equipped with accessories, such as an LED strip light corner connector. This tool enables you to make sharp turns in the strip without the hazard of damaging from excessive bending. In addition, they provide a secure connection between the two sections of the strip, preventing the formation of gaps. Small gaps are easily noticed, so thanks to corner connectors you can create beautiful, uniform effects on walls and ceilings. Therefore, it is high time you changed the corners by using LED strip lights, as well as make seamless transitions of light in every home space.
How to Turn Corners with LED Strip Lights?
LED tapes are gaining popularity. Being versatile, inexpensive, easy installed, putting out a lot of light, having a long life expectancy causes them to be the best for many illumination projects. LED strip lights create a wonderful lighting display and are a great method to add ambiance and highlight every place. In terms of turning corners when using LED strips, there are two main ways: making use of corner connectors, as well as tape cutting. All you will need is several tools and longanimity, and you should quickly get to know the way to cut corners with LED strips. Therefore, let us take a deeper insight into these two options.
Cutting the Strips
The first common technique is cutting the LED tape at specific points (generally visible on the tapes). The cut ends can be connected with a soldering iron or a connector to obtain a 90-degree turn. In particular, pay attention to whether the transitions between the parts of the belt are smooth. Soldering is the most preferred way for making strong and solid connections. However, there are many special connectors that are perceived to be especially helpful to form sharp turns with LED strip lights.
Moreover, you should know that some LED strip lights are bendable. Because of that, you can easily turn corners without even cutting and soldering. The only thing to be done is bending the strip to the intended angle, according to the instructions of manufacturers. It is worth saying that this type of LED strip is excellent for applications that need sharp turns, for example staircases or other tight places. To be fully sure that your light is regularly distributed, you are advised to use a power supply. It may happen that you will be under the obligation to buy multiple strips or connect them into one continuous strip to get the dreamed effect. It is recommended to use 3M adhesive tape, which secures the strips in place and won’t slip or move while being installed.
Using Corner Collectors
Connections at the corner are special for creating a smooth rectangular twist to the LED strips. Normally, these are provided with two or even more holes into which the ends of the LED strip can be inserted and snap into position to form a corner bend. They are mostly made of plastic, aluminium, or steel. Furthermore, they come in a wide range of colours. If corner connectors are used, measure the width of the strip and select a matching connector. It is recommended to check connections twice before powering up the LED strips to have a full security.
- L-Shape Connectors – as a rule, they have two openings that enable the ends of the LED strip to be inserted at straight angles. Applying an L-shaped connector, two strips of the identical length can be used or alternatively a longer strip and another shorter strip.
- T-Shape Connectors – what distinguishes them from L-shaped connectors is the extra slot, which enables a third LED strip to be connected in a right line and create a T-shaped setup. They are perceived to be especially beneficial if you have to divide the LED tape into numerous destinations in a corner, in stairwells and elsewhere.
- Solderless Connectors – There are certain LED strips with no solder connectors that enable the strips to be connected lacking soldering. They are often equipped with clamps or terminals that fix the ends of the LED strip jointly and simplify bending corners.
Bet on high quality, eye-popping products and choose LED light strips that for sure will live up to your expectations. Remember that an appropriate plan is essential when you are going to turn corners with LED strip lights. Measurement of the precise spot where the LED strip will go, as well as certainty that you own all the required equipment, is of the utmost importance by the time you start the installation. Take your illumination to the next level and enjoy spectacular effects!